[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.2 which Extensions will still work?

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Wed Jun 12 19:04:21 CEST 2013

Hi Domi

get in contact with Kay Strohbach as he is putting together a real powerful
theming suite. It is using the work s of Claus Due and you can do with it
nearly the same like with TemplaVoila. Languages and Workspaces are not
tested but needed but it is the same problems in fedext I guess or with
gridelements. It will come!

I used the bootstrap package already but got stuck in the installation
process long time, unfortunately,  before I got it up and running .

The biggest benefit of Themes is actually that you can reuse your content
in many different settings similar to what is already possible in Framework
for TemplaVoila, while in the original fedxt package you need to insert
your content complete new when you want to switch from Tabs to accordion or
columns etc. or between Templates itself. A standardized Structure helps to
get lots of themes up and running and it will be possible to let the Themes
directory grow very fast. i.e. jfmulticontent is a very good example how
standardization can help to reuse your content easily. In front o the
customer you can switch the look with some simple clicks.

As Themes is capable to use also your old Framework for TemplaVoila Skins
Version1 (currently) it will make all those an ideal starting point to
switch from TemplaVoila to Themes. And those who always were looking for
new designs but could not find some will love the ability to integrate
WordPress Themes. With Themes TYPO3 will instantly have thousands of
Templates available. It is a great tool for Migrators from TemplaVoila to
Themes  and of Course also a great tool for people you started in Wordpress
but are now ready for a REAL CMS! They can easily reuse their already
existing Art work and look.

Themes enriches the works of Claus Due and combines it with the Logik and
Usability of the Framework for TemplaVoila based currently on bootstrap
which is a great starting point for responsive Web design at all. In
combination with the themesbuilder it is a starting point for many websites
inside one TYPO3 Installation! A Themebuilder is already available - test
it.

IMHO TYPO3 has now the chance to do some standardization which helps to get
a very usable and easy to use CMS up and running with much more than only
switchable Skins or simple templates. Themes is very easy for Editors and
Content Creators and also Designers! This is what a CMS should actually be
for IMHO.

At the end probably you will be able to choose i.e. a Wordpress Theme to
start with, which you than modify in Themes builder to be your Theme and
 you can add your Snippets for Breadcrump, language menu etc p.p. all kind
of Snippets for all kind of purposes well written in CSS and enriched so
that you can apply changes by modifying constants in the Constant Editor or
in the Managing Tool and your sites will be up an running in much less time
and ready to be productive for the ones who need it - The Content Creator
with their Content, the Designers who want to integrate some nice graphics
and of course the SEO people who bring your site up in Search Engines and
Social Medias.

All this is not a dream as Kay already did most of the work already and you
should try and use it.

What is needed right now are

   1. good snippets for the TYPOscript Library - documented and enriched
   with Constants. Standardization will help to make things more reusable and
   switchable. If you have good snippets best contact Kay.
   2. People Designers who start building Themes with it. Kay already
   started a Themes repository to host your themes with all kinds of designs
   and of course with different functionality as a Theme is so much more than
   only a skin! This is the real power of TYPO3 that we are actually able to
   build in different functionality and we should use, reuse and share it.

Actually since Ron's great Framework for TempaVoila Mapping isn't needed
anymore so much as this was also a headache when we started with
TemplaVoila. Working with a Standardized Group of Templates is the base for
rapid Development and using the standard way of Typoscript Templating made
the TVFW very flexible for Site Creators (I would call them so) Those
people who put in the Content, the Images and some Extensions moving them
to the right place etc. No need of Typoscript know how or even PHP! In
Themes it will be like in the works of Claus Due as you already said as
easy as in TVFW but with much more functionality thanks to fluid. If
translations and workspaces would work as easy as before it would be so
great!

Yes I like Themes and it will be a very good (perhaps even the best)
replacement for TVFW and TemplaVoila Enthiusiasts!

I hope that Claus, Xavier, Kay, Fabien, Joe, Ben as Designer and for
Usability, Sven, ... and others interested in Usability and rapid
development for Content creators get together to get things done more
coordinated that not again 2 systems will beat each other, instead they
should feed each other with their ideas!

Andi