[TYPO3-english] which template system? Automaketemplate? Yaml? Twitter bootstrap?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Wed Jul 10 00:41:11 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 9-7-2013 16:15, Alessandro Tuveri wrote:
> Another popular templating system is based on automaketemplate (should
> be working under v 6.2) unfortunately this can be marked as "almost
> obsolete".

Current version of automaketemplate is compatible with 6.2; the
technology is quite a few years old, but still working.

> I can't figure what the other two can survive. Automaketemplate for the
> BE user is outdated because can't offert the same interface to build
> freely the columns required;

You can use BE layouts to have a nice interface for the editors. These
work with "colPos" settings to separate the content of different regions
on the page. For frontend rendering you can use this with any templating
method; fluid templates, automaketemplate, etc.

> the second depends on templaVoila' (forgive
> me but I read sometimes that templaVoil�ƒ�ƒ�‚�ƒ�ƒ�‚�‚�  will not
> supported for the most recent versions of typo3).

Without going into detail, there will be a version of TemplaVoilà that
is compatible with TYPO3 CMS 6.2. What will happen for later releases is
still unclear, but that is of course the case for a lot of extensions.

> it seems that v.6.x LTS will be the one running until v4.5.x sites will
> be migrated.

6.2 will be an LTS version, which means that it will be supported for a
longer period than normal releases. There is an overlap of a year with
the support of 4.5 to make it easier to migrate sites from 4.5 LTS to
6.2 LTS.

> What version of CMS TYPO3 and Template System is to offer for a new site?!?

Since 6.2 isn't released yet you could go for 6.1 and upgrade when 6.2
is released (that will be a relatively easy upgrade).
The choice of templating system really depends on what system you like,
how much you can handle more complex configuration, how much
customization you need, etcetera.
Fluid will be used with new extensions, so if you use it for the
templating of your site you are familiar with it when you need to do the
templating for an extension.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor