[TYPO3-english] Multi-language fallback and geolocation for sub-country

Urs Bräm info at ursbraem.ch
Sat Sep 24 21:58:02 CEST 2011

Hi

> 2) Geolocation with sub-country
> I tried to use the "rlmp_language_detection" extension that works
> great but it only use the 2 characters code (the "lg_iso_2" column
> from "static_languages" table). So, given the kind of site that I
> explain above, if my browser is configured to use for example es-ar
> language, the extension will tell Typo3 to give me the es language
> pages and that's not what I want if I have both es-ar and es language
> pages.

I personnally would use some custom php browser language detection for
that. That way, you can exactly define where you want to send which
browser.

I had some issues with rlmp_language_detection, because it always showed
up as USER_INT, and so I decided to check for browser language only on
the home page (or on any landing page you communicate w/o the L
parameter), as in my setup, all other pages will have the lang parameter
set already.

What I think should be avoided is that a user selects a certain language
but gets kicked back to another language on the next page based on the
detected browser lang. But maybe it's different in your case, e.g. if
there's no manual language switch between es and es-ar, it could make
sense to always force the ar version.

Urs

--
Urs Bräm