[TYPO3-english] Oracle performance issues

Peter Russ peter.russ at 4many.net
Wed Jul 14 21:41:00 CEST 2010

--- Original Nachricht ---
Absender:   Dmitry Dulepov
Datum:       14.07.2010 15:29:
> Hi!
>
> Peter Russ wrote:
>> Caching framework shouldn't be abused to solve problems due to bad design.
>
> It is not an abuse. Find a talk by Steve Huffman from Reddit, his "Lessons
> learned". One of his advises is "cache everything". I agree with him on
> that. The more we cache, the less request we do and the faster we are. In
> one non–TYPO3 related project I was able to reduce amount of queries from
> 14 to 3 using memcache. So 11 was saved on each request. That project gets
> 150 rqs, that's 1650 queries saved per second, over 142 million queries per
> day. It makes a huge difference in performance. Even if data is in MySQL
> cache, MySQL still have to process the query and do network exchange. Cache
> saves on that.

But still: there are lot of places where neither quering the cache nor
the database would be required. AND additionally: not everybody will be
able to use memcache (pls no more marketing bs on "enterprise....")

So IMHO the task should be: optimize the db queries and after that focus
on caching.

By the way: why doesn't cache_treelist use caching in 4.3.4?

Peter.

--
Fiat lux! Docendo discimus.