[TYPO3-english] Oracle performance issues

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Wed Jul 14 15:29:48 CEST 2010

Hi!

Peter Russ wrote:
> Caching framework shouldn't be abused to solve problems due to bad design.

It is not an abuse. Find a talk by Steve Huffman from Reddit, his "Lessons
learned". One of his advises is "cache everything". I agree with him on
that. The more we cache, the less request we do and the faster we are. In
one non–TYPO3 related project I was able to reduce amount of queries from
14 to 3 using memcache. So 11 was saved on each request. That project gets
150 rqs, that's 1650 queries saved per second, over 142 million queries per
day. It makes a huge difference in performance. Even if data is in MySQL
cache, MySQL still have to process the query and do network exchange. Cache
saves on that.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security teams member