[TYPO3-english] Oracle performance issues

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Thu Jul 15 09:08:56 CEST 2010

Hi!

Peter Russ wrote:
> But still: there are lot of places where neither quering the cache nor
> the database would be required. AND additionally: not everybody will be
> able to use memcache (pls no more marketing bs on "enterprise....")

I agree with the first sentence fully. Regarding memcache availability: I
also agree but than many have APC, which offers similar functionality for
caching. Also, as you know, TYPO3 does not run well at shared hosting
(needs a lot of resources), so if you have VPS, you can install memcache.
Big companies can install memcache easily.

I think TYPO3 can't target everybody. Therefore I think we should really
target higher level setups, not shared hostings with 8M RAM for PHP. Do you
agree?

> So IMHO the task should be: optimize the db queries and after that focus
> on caching.

Again, I fully agree!

> By the way: why doesn't cache_treelist use caching in 4.3.4?

Well... That functionality was sponsored. After it was created, it was
never updated. Some bugs were fixed by me and others but the functionality
stays incomplete. This is a good candidate for improvement. Thanks for
reminding!

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security teams member