[TYPO3-english] Caching Framework

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Thu Jan 21 09:53:16 CET 2010

Am 21.01.2010, 09:22 Uhr, schrieb Andreas Becker <ab.becker at web.de>:

> So it is useful to use memcached or even ngnix together with the new
> caching
> framework. Is it that what you try to explain? I am a bit confused.
Don't know exactly, what nginx can do.

> Questions which came up now:
> Why is there a new caching framework when the old one is much faster?
> What are the benefits and drawbacks using the new caching framework
> 1. alone
> 2. together with memcache (ngnix extension provides this)
> 3. together with ngnix (and memcached) (same extension)
> 4. together with the old caching system
>
> If you are setting up a new site what would be best to use it - old or
> new
> (1-4)
Depends on the number of servers. If you have only 1 server, stick to the
old framework. It was reintroduced, because the new one produces much
overhead. If you don't need the extended caching capabilities, you can
save this overhead.
If you have more than one server, memcache should help. I don't know any
numbers (would be interesting, if some could tell their experience).

I think situation 4 isn't usable: Old and new framework together ;-)

Steffen