[TYPO3-english] Back-end module "pages" still rendered with tables

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 03:30:21 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 5:11 PM, JoH asenau <info at cybercraft.de> wrote:

<snip>

> IMO there's no real need for a tableless backend at all. If you take closer
> look for example at the extJS interface components, which will make a major
> part of the BE in T3 4.4+, you will notice that they do use lots of nested
> tables as well, because they make the look and feel cross browser compatible
> much more easily.

<snip>

I'm very disappointed to hear this. Regardless of whether or not there
are any actual problems caused by the use of layout tables, I'm
absolutely certain that this will be perceived negatively, and that it
will hinder wider adoption of TYPO3. Many new users are likely to
regard the use of nested (!) tables for BE layout as a sign that TYPO3
is a project firmly stuck in the 90s (even though this is plainly not
true).

Personally, I'd rather have less flexible BE layouts (though I do not
think that that's a necessary consequence of eliminating layout
tables) than have a BE built using what many users will (not unjustly)
consider obsolete and deprecated methods. It's difficult enough to
convince people that the CMS universe includes products other than
Drupal and Wordpress, and this isn't going to help.

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/