[TYPO3-english] OT: Solution to slow remote scripts?

Peter Russ peter.russ at 4many.net
Wed May 27 21:32:55 CEST 2009

--- Original Nachricht ---
Absender:   Wiel, J.A.M. van de
Datum:       27.05.2009 19:31:
> <snip>
>
> My experience with sites like Google or similar is, that in most cases
> (99%) the problem is not due to the fact of response time as these sites
> are optimized for high loads.
> BUT Firebug! Because it takes time to parse and analyse the code.
>
> So if I experience "slow" response times on a site I disable FB first to
> see what happens.
>
> It might be a legal issue to cache external code without taking header
> information into account. I'm not an attorney...
>
> jm2c
>
> <snip>
>
> You need a pretty big server farm to beat Google, but the DNS lookup may take some precious seconds. If you can get away with just a single lookup for www.yoursite.com, and get everything from there, it'll be very fast. And including external javascripts through a <script> tag doesn't bother with headers anyway, so there's not really an issue there. Google even used to encourage hosting their analytics JS locally, if I recall correctly.
>
> Bas

May be. BUT...

A DNS lookup compared to the bottle-nack of file downloading can be
forgotten.

Check how many files are required to get your site displayed.

Check your browser settings: how many parallel connections to the same
server are allowed.

Check the size of the files.

Check if the files are compressed at download time

Check how long it takes to access the required file from your server
compared to the orginal url.

Stress your server and see how it reacts compared to downloads from the
orginal url.

Check if there are parameters passed to the script url at download time.

If you're still convinced after all these checks it worth to invest a
proxy might help to speed up external urls.

More feedback highly appreciated.

BUT this not TYPO3 related :-(

Regs. Peter.

--