[TYPO3-english] Solution to slow remote scripts?

Peter Russ peter.russ at 4many.net
Wed May 27 19:00:51 CEST 2009

--- Original Nachricht ---
Absender:   Morten Kjems
Datum:       27.05.2009 18:32:
> I have been doing some research on how to speed up a website.
>
> One of the key elements is to merge and minify javascript and css files.
>
> This is easy in TYPO3 with an extension like "speedy" and in TYPO3 4.3
> this feature will be integrated.
>
> However many websites rely on remote javascripts hosted outside the
> installation. This is often google analytics, shopping charts, ads etc.
>
> You can optimize you site to be lightning fast only to realize that one
> slow remote javascript takes forever to load.
>
> While researching this topic I came across an idea that could be a
> solution.
>
> The trick is to fetch and to host these remote scripts locally. But this
> brings up a new problem. If the scripts are updated you will have an
> outdated local copy.
>
> Now i wonder if it is possible to write an extension that fetches remote
> javascripts once every day and then overwrite the local version. This
> way you gain the speed advantage that local hosting provides without the
> risk of having an outdated script.
>
> Does this solution already exist?
>
> Or is an idea worth pursuing?
>

> Thanks
> /Morten

My experience with sites like Google or similar is, that in most cases
(99%) the problem is not due to the fact of response time as these sites
are optimized for high loads.
BUT Firebug! Because it takes time to parse and analyse the code.

So if I experience "slow" response times on a site I disable FB first to
see what happens.

It might be a legal issue to cache external code without taking header
information into account. I'm not an attorney...

jm2c

--
Fiat lux! Docendo discimus.