[TYPO3-english] Solution to slow remote scripts?

Morten Kjems mortenkjems at gmail.com
Wed May 27 18:32:22 CEST 2009

I have been doing some research on how to speed up a website.

One of the key elements is to merge and minify javascript and css files.

This is easy in TYPO3 with an extension like "speedy" and in TYPO3 4.3
this feature will be integrated.

However many websites rely on remote javascripts hosted outside the
installation. This is often google analytics, shopping charts, ads etc.

You can optimize you site to be lightning fast only to realize that one
slow remote javascript takes forever to load.

While researching this topic I came across an idea that could be a solution.

The trick is to fetch and to host these remote scripts locally. But this
brings up a new problem. If the scripts are updated you will have an
outdated local copy.

Now i wonder if it is possible to write an extension that fetches remote
javascripts once every day and then overwrite the local version. This
way you gain the speed advantage that local hosting provides without the
risk of having an outdated script.

Does this solution already exist?

Or is an idea worth pursuing?

Thanks