[TYPO3-english] [TYPO3] Deprecation files in typo3conf

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Mon May 25 07:14:45 CEST 2009

Erik
we tested now some sites on the alpha3 Version and have even more problems
with this logging.
As soon as we delete a large logfile the site is loading fast again, so
there seems to be something slowing down the loading of sites by these
logfiles.

Is the logfile below 10.000 it loads fine but as soon as it is getting
higher than 100.000.000 it slows totally down and at 400.000.000 it is more
or less standing and no more loading.

It would be really good if somebody would know a way how we could deactivate
this logging.

Also I am rally not sure what the process should be for those log files?
Who is analyzing it?

Take i.e. TemplaVoila one of the major extensions and lot of others have
same problems. Should we all send our logfiles now to Dmitry so that he can
change the deprecated function? I guess he won't be very happy about this?

IMHO it would be much better to have this logging as an option so that the
extension developers themselves can check their own extensions and change
them as soon as possible so that at least with starting of the BETA releases
this deprecated files will more or less be empty!

If I would sit down and write up on a website which extensions are affected
this would be a huge list of major extensions used in thousands of TYPO3
websites. If we would do this website on a central place we could collect
all deprecated functions sorted by extension name but it would more or less
also demonstrate that TYPO3 seems some kind of an old grandmother waiting to
jump into the pool to be young again. This can't be the way of getting rid
of these deprecated extensions and functions.

Is there some kind of Death Line where those deprecated functions should
have been removed? and will Extensions still having those deprecated
function been simply deleted in TER to get a better overview?

Perhaps it would be good simply to warn people from downloading/updating
Extensions from TER which still have deprecated functions. i.e. by putting a
simple Imageoverlay to those extensions like : "contains deprecated
functions - use with care in 4.3"

If the logging is only to write a nice huge logfile and nothing more it is
IMHO more or less really useless!
And should be deactivated by default and an option to use it.

Andi