[TYPO3-english] [TYPO3] Deprecation files in typo3conf

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Mon May 18 20:29:38 CEST 2009

Hi!

Andreas Becker skrev:
> Hi All deprecation_bcc94f0ef4.log In TYPO3conf lots of these deprecation log
> files get written. What is it all about as they slow down the loading
> process completly! some of those files on one of our customer site is
> 333,341,314 big huge! It shows lots of records from TemplaVoila and some
> other extensions. Here is a shorter view inside - did not list complete:
> (its about 10 - 20 times as long I guess!)

As far as I know, they don't slow down anything. It's only logs and are
only written to. The size doesn't matter as it's not being read. You can
delete them if you want.

>> Integrated logging of calls to deprecated functions
>
> A deprecation log has been introduced to track calls to deprecated/outdated
>> methods in the TYPO3 Core. Developers have to make sure to adjust their code
>> to avoid using this old functionality since deprecated methods will be
>> removed in future TYPO3 releases.
>
> http://news.typo3.org/news/article/typo3-43-alpha-2/
>
> When you see what extensions are in there than it seems most of TYPO3 needs
> to be overhault ;-) especially TemplaVoila!

Read what this log are doing. It's a way to track down Extensions which
are using depreceated methods (and also other places where depreceated
Methods are used).

As a lot of these changes in core are new (in TYPO3 4.2/4.3) it's
logical that a lot of extensions will use depreceated methods and throw
a line in the log.

As I can see every TemplaVoila message is refering to one depreceated
method, t3lib_div::makeInstanceClassName().

As t3lib_div::makeInstanceClassName() is depreceated in 4.3, you can't
expect that extensions which aren't updateted to work with 4.3 changes
in 4.3 don't have a large possibility to throw an "message" like this.
Remember a lot of extensions are years old.

It's not any problem either, as long as the depreceated methods aren't
removed.

Yes, some extensions has to be corrected to work in future versions of
TYPO3, but this is normal for every piece of software when the "core"
part is developed to new and better versions and a lot of extensions are
changed many times in the past because of such changes.

> How can we deactivate this?

No need to - it doesn't do any harm, and I don't know of any way to
deactive the writing of logs. But you can delete the logs from time to time

As this is a question regarding 4.3-alpha, it should be asked in
dev-list. By the way, normaly you don't use alpha versions on
productions sites.

> Andi

Bests

Erik Svendsen