[TYPO3-english] Spacers and other beginner questions

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 24 00:40:25 CEST 2009

Marian Schedenig wrote:
>   lib.subMenu = HMENU
>
>   lib.subMenu.1 = TMENU
>   lib.subMenu.1.NO {
>
>   lib.submenu.1.SPC = 1
>
>   lib.subMenu.2 = TMENU
>   lib.subMenu.2.NO {
 >
>   lib.subMenu.2.ACT = 1
>
>   lib.submenu.2.SPC = 1

Take a good look at what you wrote! Everywhere you used subMenu (capital
M) and only for the SPC parts you used submenu (lowercase m). Typoscript
is case sensitive, so these are two different things.
Quite logical that your SPC definitions are not part of the HMENU, which
is called subMenu.

>>> I suppose the correct way to do it is to put a stdWrap around the
>>> ###GUESTBOOK_SURNAME### field (either that, or create a new field with
>>> ###the
>>> link stdWrapped around the content of ###GUESTBOOK_SURNAME###) in my
>>> site's template setup - what I don't know is how I can do that. :)
>> I took a quick look in the ve_guestbook code, but it has no support for
>> a stdWrap on GUESTBOOK_SURNAME (and many other fields). There are some
>> fields with stdWrap support, but for some reason the other hasn't done
>> that for all markers.
>
> So I take it there's no "outside" way to define these placeholders (is there
> an official term for the ###fields###?).
>
>> You can always contact the author and ask him to add this (it's actually
>> very little work and in my opinion it's something an extension author
>> should provide on all fields)
>
> I guess I could dig into the Typoscript myself and see if I can come up with
> a patch. Not a bad exercise I suppose, I was just hoping this could be done
> without depending on ve_guestbook internals.

There's nothing you can do with Typoscript in this case, I think. The
only way would be to change the ve_guestbook code and add support for
stdWrap to all the fields.
You can do this without changing the code of ve_guestbook itself by
making an extension which provides an XCLASS version of the class and
function from ve_guestbook (but with the stdWrap support).

Suggest this to the author of ve_guestbook, because it would be useful
for others too. It isn't much work, in fact updating the manual is more
work than modifying the code :-)

--
Jigal van Hemert.