[TYPO3-english] Fork of Typo3 ?

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Feb 24 08:27:41 CET 2009

Hi!

Erik Svendsen wrote:
> And of course you don't have all the "small" tools which help you to run
> big sites with cheaper hardware.
>
> But people with heavy load sites and not so heavy hardware should look
> at Varnish, http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/. One publishing house in
> Norway with 10 different sites are reducing the number of servers from
> 14 to 2. Two of the largest newssites in Scandinavia, vg.no and
> aftonbladet.se (some others too) are using this reverse proxy/webcache.
> And of course it's open source.

I can confirm. Varnish is cool for static sites! Things become more difficult when site content changes depending on FE users.

Also if I remember correctly, Varnish does not cache by default when the site sets cookies. PHP and TYPO3 both set cookies. It needs a bit of tweaking in Varnish.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team