[TYPO3] New Ext. uploading to TER, Version Number??

Niels Fröhling niels.froehling at adsignum.com
Fri Sep 19 20:08:50 CEST 2008

Francois Suter wrote:
>> i just uploaded two new Ext. to TER. but i am getting problem with the
>> Version number. which one of this options should be selected when the
>> EXT is the first release( or first upload):
>>     - New bugfix version (latest x.x.x+1)
>>     - New sub version (latest x.x+1.0)
>>     - New main version (latest x+1.0.0)
>>
>> i know may be the first one is the correct one, but it is not bug
>> fixing, it is only the first upload of this Ext.
>>

> I would say this depends on the status of your extension. If it is
> already functional and stable, I would release it as 1.0.0. After all,
> it is the first version! :-)
>
> Now if your release is more of a preview release and the code is more
> alpha or beta, then you may want to give it a version number lower than
> 1.0.0.

His problem is, that he can't publish an extension to TER without
changing the version-number.
I would suggest to make the version 0.0.0 (in the em_conf) and upload
taking the x+1.0.0 option.

I have the sense it has to do with versioned-storage of the extensions
(you shan't "overwrite" aka. making inconsitancies over the same
version-number [version-number in this context is quite like an ID or
unique-state-in-time]), but I don't know how the TER is inside, could be
wrong. SVN and CVS will also, for the same underlying logistic
confrontation, always raise the version-number of commited files.

 Ciao
    Niels