[TYPO3] Translation team

bernd wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Sat Jan 26 01:52:11 CET 2008

on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:35:47 +0100, Michiel Roos wrote:

> Dear Bernd,
>
> Work with me here . . .
>
> There is indeed no point in translating English into English.
>
> There is a point in appointing a team leader and team members (i.e. an
> English translation team) so that these people can be contacted if
> anybody in the community finds a translation bug.

this might be a good job needed, but not for a lot of people. I don't
think it is much work to do.

> This team will not only be responsible for translating the core, but
> also for translating 'extensions' like tt_news, commerce and many other
> extensions that are installed on the translation server.

from what language do you think they have to translate this extensions?
from english into english?

> Extension developers may choose any language as default. So it may

not really. as TYPO3 doesn't like to have non-Ansi-characters in the
default-language part of locallang-files, there is not much chance to
fill in the default-language with other languages.
You may leave the default-language empty and provide just another
language.

> happen that a certain extension is only released in Chinese. An English
> translation team is very useful in such a case (provided that it has a
> member that also understands Chinese of course, but you get the point
> ;-)

Maybe in the chinese team (which translates english into chinese) there
might be someone who can translate chinese to english? ;-)
As there are a lot of languages worldwide, you can't ask for having one
person for each language in the 'english team'.
But you can be sure of having one in the team of this language.

It can be good to have someone you can contact on matters about
translations regardless of the language of the translation. And I think
this person has to speak english, as english is the official common
language for TYPO3. But this one does no jobs in translating default-
language (=english) into english.
and using your example: he can assign the request for a translation from
an extension released only in chinese to the chinese team, as this people
can understand the chinese texts.

Bernd