[TYPO3] Translation team

Michiel Roos michiel at netcreators.com
Sat Jan 26 11:20:11 CET 2008

bernd wilke wrote:
> on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:35:47 +0100, Michiel Roos wrote:
>
>> Dear Bernd,
>>
>> Work with me here . . .
>>
>> There is indeed no point in translating English into English.
>>
>> There is a point in appointing a team leader and team members (i.e. an
>> English translation team) so that these people can be contacted if
>> anybody in the community finds a translation bug.
>
> this might be a good job needed, but not for a lot of people. I don't
> think it is much work to do.

Solving the translation bug would not be a lot of work if an English
translation team member could be contacted.

>> This team will not only be responsible for translating the core, but
>> also for translating 'extensions' like tt_news, commerce and many other
>> extensions that are installed on the translation server.
>
> from what language do you think they have to translate this extensions?
> from english into english?

Yes from English to English. It's called: quality control.

>> Extension developers may choose any language as default. So it may
>
> not really. as TYPO3 doesn't like to have non-Ansi-characters in the
> default-language part of locallang-files, there is not much chance to
> fill in the default-language with other languages.
> You may leave the default-language empty and provide just another
> language.

To my shock this is actually true. I just tried arabic as default and it
comes up as question marks in the backend labels. Is this a bug?

>> happen that a certain extension is only released in Chinese. An English
>> translation team is very useful in such a case (provided that it has a
>> member that also understands Chinese of course, but you get the point
>> ;-)
>
> Maybe in the chinese team (which translates english into chinese) there
> might be someone who can translate chinese to english? ;-)
> As there are a lot of languages worldwide, you can't ask for having one
> person for each language in the 'english team'.
> But you can be sure of having one in the team of this language.

It's a fact that 'native' speakers often have better knowledge about
/feeling with their language than 'non native' speakers.

I'm sure you have come across one or more of those 'product manuals'
that come with some cheap plastic product and are full of spelling and
sentence mistakes.

You may want to browse around http://www.engrish.com/ until my point
finally sinks in.

> It can be good to have someone you can contact on matters about
> translations regardless of the language of the translation. And I think
> this person has to speak english, as english is the official common
> language for TYPO3. But this one does no jobs in translating default-
> language (=english) into english.

. . . except for translating engrish into proper English.

> and using your example: he can assign the request for a translation from
> an extension released only in chinese to the chinese team, as this people
> can understand the chinese texts.

Sure, and after it has been done, the English team gan go in and fix the
engrish translation to become proper English.

Kind regards,

Michiel Roos

--
Netcreators BV :: creation and innovation
www.netcreators.com

Interesse in werken bij Netcreators?
http://www.netcreators.com/bedrijf/vacatures/