[TYPO3-english] SMTP with Typo3 and SMTP with sr_feuser

James Calhoun james.calhoun at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 08:40:37 CET 2008

Hi All,

Ive been looking for a while for how to use SMTP with Typo3 in general and
specifically with sr_feuser

Currently, my Typo3 (4.2.3) Install tool says sendmail cannot be found or is
not executable. phpinfo() tells me the sendmail_path in the install tool is
correct (/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i).

My host said:
"cPanel email servers use Exim to send and receive email. Sendmail binary is
a link to Exim MTA. You will have to inquire with the developers of the CMS
for configuring the application to use SMTP authentication. The URL we have
provided shows the usage of SMTP authentication while using PHP mail()
function."

I have tested PHP Using SMTP Authentication on my server, which works fine.

I also have found information on configuring direct mail to work with Direct
Mail, but not with the core or with sr_feuser.

1) Can anyone help me understand how to make sure that the install tool,
forms, etc, can use sendmail with SMTP? I dug through
class.t3lib_htmlmail.php and saw that, according to the comments, Typo3
supports Sendmail/Exim MTA/SMTP.

2) Or, in particular, can someone help me figure out how to get sr_feuser
confirmation emails, etc, to be sent via SMTP?

Thanks all,

James Calhoun