[TYPO3-english] Documentation Template (doc_template) Questions

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Thu Dec 11 15:26:46 CET 2008

Hi Stephen,

> i) I don't really have much OOo experience, but some of the text has grey
> backgrounds (I think they are fields in OOo). How can I change the value of
> these fields, when I just highlight them and then paste my values there the
> grey background goes, does this matter? Are they just there to mark areas?
> Or do they have to remain as 'fields'?

They are special fields. Their values are changed by accessing the
"Properties..." item in the "File" menu.

> ii) I see lots of extensions in the ter with empty manual sections (probably
> because they are not needed). Do they have to stay there? If I don't need a
> particular section (like administration for example), can I just delete
> these pages?

I guess it's a question of taste. I don't remember seeing any rules
about this, but I may be wrong. Personnally I delete empty sections. I
also change their naming if it fits better. I guess they should rather
be taken as a guideline of what should ideally go into a manual to make
it complete and useful.

> iii) The doc folder for doc_template has a pdf version of the manual. Must I
> also create this? I've never seen an ext with a pdf manual before.

No, you don't have to. It may be nice to provide a PDF version too, but
OTOH it will make your extension larger for very little benefit. I would
rather avoid it.

HTH

--

Francois Suter