[TYPO3] Is DAM worth its use or is it dead?

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Wed Apr 16 11:35:51 CEST 2008

Hello Xavier,

>> Personally, I do not really like DAM extension, though that opinion
>> might change if there were better documentation for it.
>>
> I find this extension really great but I would say that its main issue
> is the documentation indeed. This is not clear which extensions need
> to be installed in order to get a "basic" document management system
> with categories and FE lists to download files, which are optional and
> which not.

Agree 100 %. The documentation is not exactly what you want, and don't answer
most of the questions. But it has not really bothered me, maybe because I
attended a speech where Rene demonstrated the extension when it really was
in alpha state (back in 2005). If someone is interested I have copy of video
from the speech and also the paper.

And Dam was planned as a system extension when the work with it started.
Which is the main reason for the use of core files and XClassing.

And TYPO3 needs a good extension for Digital Assets Managment. The default
file modul isn't usable when you are managing larger amount of documents,
images and other files. To be honest, without Dam I have to find another
CMS for some of my clients. A lot of the functionality in Dam, really ease
up the work with a large amount of files.

But of course it's not necessary to have it as a core extension. Or maybe
some functionality should be in the default file modul, and some in extension
who extended the functionality of the default file module

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no