[TYPO3] TV concept: default templates (DS/TO)

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Tue May 29 09:13:50 CEST 2007

Hi,

> How are these TV features/fields "Subpages - Page Template Structure:"
> and "Subpages - Use Template Design:" are _meant_ to work?
>
> a) are they silently just used, but not explicitely shown on subpages
>     (similar to page TSconfig etc.)???
> b) are they supposed to be reflected in the page record of subpages,
>     ready to be changed by authors???

Correct answer is a.

> In case of a)
>
> The TYPO3 backend then has a big usability problem:
>
> - authors have no feedback of what DS/TO is actually used.

It is true that this is an issue. I guess a submodule of the Web >
Info module would be useful to view the whole page tree and which
template is used where.

> - authors could change easily to a totally unrelated DS/TO, breaking
>    the CI of a subtree, simply by not seeing, what the default is.

Well, yes, but if it were answer b the problem would be the same. The
best way to avoid problem is to limit user rights as much as possible.

> When a new page is added via the wizard, the first choice, after the
> position, is the "Select a template for your new page:" _whitout_ any
> TO preselected (and that annoying/strange "Default template" too,
> what is that anyway, how to configure/suppress that?)

I don't know about this, I never use the wizard...

> When a new page is added with "Page (inside)" there is no preselection
> of "Page Template Structure:" (and my handcrafted nice icons ain't
> shown
> in the first place :-) ). Also there is an error message under
> "Content:"
>    Data Structure ERROR: No source value in fieldname
> "tx_templavoila_ds"
>
> When I save the page anyway, the page is created, although it
> obviously
> has an error!

The error is temporary. As soon as the page is saved it "knows" that
it inherits a DS/TO from its parent page.

By the way, this would have been better posted to the TV mailing list.

Cheers

François Suter
Directeur technique
Cobweb Development Sàrl