[TYPO3] TV concept: default templates (DS/TO)

Georg Rehfeld georg.rehfeld at gmx.de
Tue May 29 04:58:30 CEST 2007

Dear all,

obviously beeing confused again seriously (my brain hurts from reading
TYPO3 docs etc. for 3 days now without any pause) I ask:

How are these TV features/fields "Subpages - Page Template Structure:"
and "Subpages - Use Template Design:" are _meant_ to work?

a) are they silently just used, but not explicitely shown on subpages
    (similar to page TSconfig etc.)???
b) are they supposed to be reflected in the page record of subpages,
    ready to be changed by authors???

In case of a)

The TYPO3 backend then has a big usability problem:

- authors have no feedback of what DS/TO is actually used.
- authors could change easily to a totally unrelated DS/TO, breaking
   the CI of a subtree, simply by not seeing, what the default is.

In case of b)

Something seems to be broken in my configuration:

My Startpage _has_ the subpage default fields set.

When a new page is added via the wizard, the first choice, after the
position, is the "Select a template for your new page:" _whitout_ any
TO preselected (and that annoying/strange "Default template" too,
what is that anyway, how to configure/suppress that?)

When a new page is added with "Page (inside)" there is no preselection
of "Page Template Structure:" (and my handcrafted nice icons ain't shown
in the first place :-) ). Also there is an error message under
"Content:"
   Data Structure ERROR: No source value in fieldname "tx_templavoila_ds"

When I save the page anyway, the page is created, although it obviously
has an error!

Discussion, please

regards, Georg
--
   ___   ___
  | + | |__    Georg Rehfeld      Woltmanstr. 12     20097 Hamburg
  |_|_\ |___   georg.rehfeld.nospam at gmx.de    +49 (40) 23 53 27 10

               (Delete .nospam from mail address)