[TYPO3] T3CON07 pricing and people from low payed countries..

ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Fri Jul 13 15:04:49 CEST 2007

hey Joey,

thanks you for your detailed answer. I don't agree with all of it,
but it least we have a discussion going!!!

it's just to bad that there is no word from the organizers, which is
IMHO
a bit weak of them. I know punkt does sponsoring do they also
organize it?

On Jul 13, 2007, at 7:49 AM, JoH wrote:

>> I don't know what the real origin is of T3CON07, however
>> what you write above means locking out people by price and this
>> falls not in the spirit of open source (and god if I my say so).
>
> T3CON07 mainly is a business event and not just a meeting for TYPO3
> people
> from all over the world.
> So yes, it might be not in the spirit of Open Source, but again
> it's not
> about locking people out but about getting the more solvent people
> involved,
> since they will indirectly pay the development of TYPO3 for the
> less solvent
> people as well.

Since it is a business event, my rule still applies. I also know many
business event's that are for 15 euro, the rest is free. In case of
business
events people want to advertise themselves, which is there investment.
So the attendees can come at a low price.

Ofcourse we cannot sponsor there flights, hotels foods and drinks.
(I am going to sponsor a hotel stay for Tania since I know here well)
But at least we can do something for the entry people.
In holland we would say 'Hoe meer zielen, hoe meer vreugde'
Means simply said, the more people the better...

>> If what you write is true, then I wonder why there was not a cheaper
>> location found so there is more money left over for the association?
>
> Because people wouldn't pay such a high price for an event that is
> taking
> place at i.e. a youth hostel.
> If you have to pay a few hundred bucks you have certain expectations
> regarding the location.

This is the other extreme, but I am sure there can be good places
found for lower rates
including catering.

>> Since you mention core developers I believe that most, if not all
>> core developer
>> have good payed jobs or are good payed freelancers in some sort and
>> it's only an advertisement
>> for themselves if they attend to T3CON07 (speakers are free anyways).
>> Properly
>> they can get there tax returned in some way as well.
>
> But still there must be money to get things done, because most of
> the core
> developers can't spend more of their spare time for free as they
> already do.
> So if there is something really urgent there must be money to pay
> someone
> for the job, and the T3CON is one source of this money.

Fully agreed....

>> You also mention 'In comparison to other conferences' if TYPO3
>> conferences where
>> all your round like PHP for example, then some conference would be
>> 'close' and some
>> point and that wills save travel fees a lot.
>>
>> What I pointed out is that we should do something for people from low
>> payed countries, not
>> for people from high payed countries.
>
> Of course we should, but this is not the goal of the T3CON.
> So feel free to setup a south american version of the T3CON but
> then the
> problem might be, that there are not enough people attending to
> call it a
> real "conference".
> But maybe you got some other ideas about what could/should be done.

You are right, the userbase in SA is not big enough, I just know a
hand full of people.

Indeed.... that's why I can always be found on #typo3 at freenode.net
to help people out where I can. it's not real live, but to the best I
can.
And we are always with sometimes at least 20 active people!

>> so I wanted (you? association? The sponsor? the organizers?) to do
>> something
>> for people that don't make 50 euro per hour, but make $5 an hour (see
>> the difference?)
>
> Definitely not me, since I don't organize the event and have no
> influence on
> the pricing.
> And my personal income is definitely not capable of sponsoring the
> ticket
> for others .
> Lowering the fees IMHO would not be a solution anyway, since after
> all you
> would still have to pay for the flight and the accomodation in Germany
> (which is something that can't be changed by the organisators) and
> thus
> would still be not affordable for people with a $5/h salary.

I think lowering entry fees can be done for these people. We just
talk about a small
percentage that would come anyways, but at least they can have a change!
Recently I did hear about the bigMac index, could we use that to
lower the entry fees?

>> PS: And please everybody, stop attacking people personally.
>
> Who did?

The cooluri discussion came up....

> Just my 0.02?
>
> Joey

Your 0.02 are worth a million.... thanks for the responses....

Ries