[TYPO3] duplicate image files?

James Knuckey james.faction at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 00:42:35 CET 2007

I've noticed that every time I insert an image that is already uploaded to
the site, or copy and paste a content element containing an image, a new
copy of the image is made with a number that increments on the end.

I understand that imagemagick creates new copies for resized images and
this makes sense, but lots of these are absolutely identical duplicates.
Even when I choose "none" for image processing, still a duplicate is made.

At the moment the "uploads" folder is about 80Mb, all images, when only
5Mb of images has actually been uploaded. 75Mb of duplicates! I'm
concerned not only about space on the server, but also that slow internet
users will be loading many copies of the same image when they go to
several pages where these duplicates are loaded, taking extra time and
bandwidth each time.

Is there any way I can avoid this?