[TYPO3] duplicate image files?

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Dec 7 08:44:42 CET 2007

Hi!

James Knuckey wrote:
> I've noticed that every time I insert an image that is already uploaded
> to the site, or copy and paste a content element containing an image, a
> new copy of the image is made with a number that increments on the end.
>
> I understand that imagemagick creates new copies for resized images and
> this makes sense, but lots of these are absolutely identical duplicates.
> Even when I choose "none" for image processing, still a duplicate is made.

This happens due to TYPO3 logic. It copies file for each new record. This way if you delete record, the copy is deleted and any other record that refer to similar file is not affected.

Now TYPO3 includes referencing algorithm. Using that TYPO3 could avoid copying files but it still copies them.

You may try to use DAM & DAM references, it lets you not to copy files but directly reference exisitng file.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team