[TYPO3] Newspaper looking for a CMS

Sancar Saran sancar.saran at evodot.com
Fri Aug 3 20:02:36 CEST 2007

On Friday 03 August 2007 18:52:36 Osipov Dan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are a newspaper site, currently with 1.5 million articles, with
> hundreds added every day. Our site has separate features, like blogs,
> photo galleries, static content, etc. We get close to 20 million hits a
> month.
> Right now we are looking for a new CMS system base on top of which we
> will build custom modifications to fit our site. Can you tell us if
> Typo3 would be a good choice for our type of site? What kind of hardware
> would we need to support our traffic? Is there a better choice for a CMS
> for us (open-source or commercial)?
> I am not scared by the complexity of it, as long as it gets the job
> done.
>
> Please let us know your ideas, or if you know any helpful sites we could
> look at.

(first of all my typo3 knowladge not so much, I just barelly write a module
for it)

Do not focus to Articles too much. When combining other problems, storing,
searching and retreiving articles not so big deal as cms himself.

Me thinks best aproach was;

Find a cms which best fit to your needs, (great support for that blogs, photo
galleries etc) then write custom module to handle your articles with current
cms database

For that load you need memcached support and other optimizations.

Drupal may become test candinate. They are very serious for page load
optimizations.

For heavy loads slashcode may another option (and it was based perl)

Finding hardware requirements a bit different thing. We don't know your
content. User profile etc.

1 million hit to cnet.com generates much different load than 1 millon hit to
google.com

Regards

Sancar