[TYPO3] same domain needs to be referenced by different sites

Bing Du bdu at iastate.edu
Wed Apr 4 19:48:08 CEST 2007

Hi,

Typo3 4.0.4

Our page tree is like this currently.

department1 site (url http://www.department1.some.edu)
   home
   people
   research group11 site (url
http://www.department1.some.edu/research-group11)
   blah

department2 site (url http://www.department2.some.edu)
   home
   students
   research group21 site (url
http://www.department2.some.edu/research-group21)
   blah

The two sites share one database.  Concerning about one site crash will
bring all the sites down, in order to minimize interference, I'm thinking
to put research group sites in a separate database.  From my
understanding, it's impossible to make the research group site point to a
different database if I want to keep all the sites in the same page tree.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Not sure if DBAL could help.

I have to create another instance pointing to the same typo3 source to
host the research group sites.  I want the second typo3 instance to have a
page tree grouping the research groups by department.

department1 site
  research group11 site

department2 site
  research group21 site

One thing I'm not clear is how to preserve the URL for each research
group?  Since the domain record (e.g. www.department1.some.edu) is defined
on the first typo3 instance, on the second instance, can I still specify
www.department1.some.edu as domain record for 'department1 site'?

Thanks in advance,

Bing