[TYPO3] No tutorials?

cousins@cousins cousins at cousins.in-newzealand.com
Tue Oct 3 22:31:31 CEST 2006

Peter Kindström wrote:

>Hi all!
>

>>People try writing things. Kasper wrote great localization doc, though
>>it took me hours to understand it completely. Probably, a professional
>>technical writer could simplify it and make easier to understand but we
>>do not have processional technical writers at hand. If you feel you can
>>do it, than just do it.
>>

>>I don´t agree here.
>>We have technical writers (and good ones too, I think) but "the
>>big guys" where not at all interested in supporting or even
>>listening to them!
>>
>>We where a bunch of guys trying to make something out of the
>>documentation, but noone "authorized" us to do so, so we never
>>came to anything but discussing. :-(
>>
>>And now that things have changed, noone of the those guys are
>>interested anymore...  :-(

Got it in one!... I was one of a group of Typo users who spent time
working on documentation for some of the extensions... they never saw
the light of day on Typo3.org as none of "the big guys" were interested
in anything but development of the code... and this at a time when
Kaspar himself was active on these lists and was exhorting "the man in
the mirror" to take part in the development and documentation of Typo3
and its components/extensions. At that time the general concensus was: "
if you see something needs doing then do it and make it available to the
community"... we did, it didn't come to anything (the documentation
never showed up on the main typo site) and we won't do it again...

This is definitely a developer application and won't make it into the
mainstream until the documentation issue is dealt with and it has been a
constant problem for new and intermediate users that has been ignored
for over three years... don't get me wrong I think Kaspar developed a
"killer app" and when I came on board it was the ONLY CMS that could do
what I wanted.... but its time to get it right on ALL fronts... even
long term users such as myself are looking at the other CMS systems and
thinking "its so easy to install - should we switch?"....

Ian