[TYPO3] No tutorials?

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Wed Oct 4 19:01:55 CEST 2006

Hi Dmitry (and others)
> "Big guys" are very busy. It takes days and weeks to get answers even to
> critical things because they are loaded too much. Simpler problem simply
> thrown away because there is no time for them. This is reality
> unfortunately.

I fully understand and respect that!
I don´t blame anyone, I just want to point out what the problem
is and that it will not be solved until it gets higher priority
by people higher up in the "Typo3 hieracy"!

>> We where a bunch of guys trying to make something out of the
>> documentation, but noone "authorized" us to do so, so we never came to
>> anything but discussing. :-(
>
> I did not ask for authorization to write a guide for mininews extension,
> I just wrote it. I plan to rewrite FTB completely and do not ask
> authorization, I will just do it.

We tried that too. The wiki structure was the issue, but when we
could not agree there was noone authorized to make a decision
that everyone felt they should follow.

I am not talking about one single document here, thats no
problem. I am talking about ALL documentation and its
organisation and maintenance - that is something else!

> I do not really understand what you expected. If you have questions, ask
> them! Many people will be happy to answer. I am happy to answer to
> anyone who asks about templavoila. There is "dev" list, there is
> "english" list. Ask! :)

Don´t you think we tried? Of course we did. But there was no
interest, few answers and this attitud "if you want anything
done, do it yourself". That is not very encouraging. :-(

I also tried "doing it myself". I made a wiki structure that
maybe half of the guys agreed to and put it up on the wiki.
But since noone authorized could say that it was the one to use,
it was just a matter of days before someone else replaced it
with a new idea - the problem was that the new structure never
got finished. And of course noone even asked me before.  :-(
How fun do you think it is to contribute under those circumstances?

After some month, when this and another structure never got
finished I made a new try with my structure. This time we made
the wiki main page read-only and that made the differens. Most
of the main page is still the same!

And when we later was asked about how to structure the
documentation on typo3.org we strongly recommended to have the
same structure as in the wiki - what do you think happened?
  http://typo3.org/documentation/

> Well, if it is so, it is is a big problem for typo3. I feel that
> importance of documentation is underestimated but even "big people"
> (Kasper himself) is writing documents all the time. And core team cares
> very much about keeping core documentation up to date.

As I said, it is a developers CMS/community...  ;-)

-----
Please understand that I don´t want to blame anyone personally!
Most people do a very good job! I just want to try pointing out
to you what I think is the biggest reason why we have a hard
time getting a better Typo3 documentation.

Regards,
Peter Kindström