[TYPO3] 5th column?

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Tue May 30 19:35:11 CEST 2006

Hello Tapio,

I have some comments!

> But you don't have those buttons in the edit panels of the front end
> editing

If your TV site is configured correct, you can move up/down in frontend.

>> I can't find the toolbar you're talking about. Adding content is done
>> by us just by clicking on the icon available before and after each
>> content element on the page which just works?
>>
> each content elements can have edit panels
> defaut: edit, move, hide, new and delete
> You don't have configured Typo to use them.

A lot of people don't configure the FE editing. And a lot of users don't
want it (yes, they don't want it, the even with the use of tm_contentaccess
feel it's not the best way to do things.). The want to do the editing in
the backend, very often because most of the content are news and other records
saved other places than in pages. It's possible to make newscontent from
FE, but the you are restricted to one folder. When you are having sites with
5 - 10 news editors on different topics, and maybe about 1000 - 2000 news
record, you do it mostly in the backend, with one folder for each editor.
Maybe you are using workflow/workspaces to.

> can add toolbar, which has for example wizard creating new content
> elements - that doesn't work properly in TV

I agree, this could be better.

I don't think many want to kill the classic page module, it has its uses
(and a lot of users/developers are used to it). But a lot of us are moving
away from the traditional table based column approach for websites, to a
tableless content area approach (I did it two years ago). And some of us
find TV as the best way to template this kind of approach. Also because you
can give the users/editors easy names for the area, like top content, left
box, middle content, right box, bottom content (who maybe tells more than
left, main, right etc). And you can nest elements.

Maybe you feel that TV is buggy and a bad piece of extensions. But why is
it one of the most popular extensions in the TYPO3 world. Could it be that
a lot of people see something you don't. And this is maybe the reason why
a lot of people recommend it (including me).

And TV hasn't much bugs. I have used it since version 0.2 and never really
been annoyed with bugs. Missing features, yes, bugs no.

And starting with a websites from scratch, for me the easy solution is TV.
Then I can make HTML templates with exactly the number of content area I
want, placed where I want, make the CSS, and know when I'm finnished with
mapping and TS, that the design isn't broken. I can do it with MTB to, but
I like TV better.

I feel your use of word *hate those people*, telling loud that TV is "crap"
(even if some people who really know TYPO3 would say something else), and
always pushing tm_contenaccess as the solution for everything about usability
(which it isn't, it's only an intermesso until version 4.5/5) isn't doing
anything good, makes a lot of us annoyed and even stop reading your posts.
And thats a pity, because some of your ideas are good.

As I can see, you are still using table design, even with the depreciated
HTML 4.0 (use 4.0.1)

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no