[TYPO3] 5th column?

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at dnainternet.net
Tue May 30 20:03:02 CEST 2006

Erik Svendsen wrote:

> I don't think many want to kill the classic page module, it has its uses
> (and a lot of users/developers are used to it). But a lot of us are
> moving away from the traditional table based column approach for
> websites, to a tableless content area approach

that has nothing to do with modern template building /TemplaVoila
except the word 'Column' - the word itself is misleading because
Column = content area.

>(I did it two years ago).
> And some of us find TV as the best way to template this kind of
> approach.

no difference except naming convention - it is possible to create
tabelles desing for the standar page module.

> Also because you can give the users/editors easy names for the
> area

true - endeed you can rename colum names of the standard page module.

, like top content, left box, middle content, right box, bottom
> content (who maybe tells more than left, main, right etc). And you can
> nest elements.

modern template building has easily tree levels - main template -
content area template - content element template (using some plugin).
I have *newer* needed more and I can't image that I newer need more

> Maybe you feel that TV is buggy and a bad piece of extensions. But why
> is it one of the most popular extensions in the TYPO3 world. Could it be
> that a lot of people see something you don't.

maybe - I just don't need it. When I have read messages it seems to have
more bugs.

And I don't like to BE - I can't set the BE interface nice using
TemplaVoila.
It *was* nicer than the old page module but not anymore.

> And starting with a websites from scratch, for me the easy solution is
> TV. Then I can make HTML templates with exactly the number of content
> area I want

no problem with the standard page module - you can set as many content
areas you need - I have define ten content areas for it - and six is the
maximum I have ever used.

>placed where I want, make the CSS, and know when I'm
> finnished with mapping

IMO slow process. When I do the HMLT-template, I know where to put
content and that's it.

> I feel your use of word *hate those people*, telling loud that TV is
> "crap" (even if some people who really know TYPO3 would say something
> else), and always pushing tm_contenaccess as the solution for everything

no - but I feel that some people are hostile toward MTB - I have red
that it should be soon dead - that *is* really *hostile* attitude

> about usability (which it isn't, it's only an intermesso until version
> 4.5/5)

agreed - it is just an intermezzo

 >isn't doing anything good

no true - endeed I know

> As I can see, you are still using table design, even with the
> depreciated HTML 4.0 (use 4.0.1)

but that is nothing to do with MTB/TemplaVoila - I don't today do any
HTML-template. Those, which I get are table-based.