[TYPO3] Typo3 limits ?

David Toshack david at vaultin.com
Tue Mar 21 01:38:22 CET 2006

Elmar Hinz wrote:
> David Toshack schrieb:
>>
>> Stig Nørgaard Færch implemented a terrific extension called "roles",
>> which allows you a dropdown list from the top frame to select from a
>> list of groups[1] that you are in. Selecting from that dropdown will
>> give you _only_ access to that group's settings. Its a great feature and
>> I'd love to see it in the core one day soon.
>>

> The problem with roles faked by groups is allways the same IMHO:
>
> If you have a faked role, you have it in all groups. So if you got the
> role moderator for group A you are automatically moderator of group B
> and C. But you should only be moderator of group A. Having it in all
> groups is rather a rank than a role. (There may be different
> definitions of a role.)
>
> The role is not related directly to your person like a group. It needs
> to be related to YOU IN A GROUP. So it is related to the M:M table
> between persons and groups.
>
> I think to implement a workaround extension like "roles" into the core
> wouldn't be a good solution. I would prefer to have a real solution to
> have a workaround in the core.
>
> I am surprised that the feature "a special role in a group" is
> requested so seldom. I ran very early into this. I am also surprised
> that there also seems nobody in the whole active community, who is
> interested in a cleaner solution.
>
> I addressed the problem several times, but nobody seemed to be
> interested yet to really go deeper into it.
>
> Regards
>
> Elmar

I agree 1000% Elmar! I've found the roles/group thing quite handy. But
to me, a proper permission system would be absolutely AWESOME!!! It
would be great if we could implement a wrapper for phpGACL[1]. Not just
for a better permission system but would open up future possibilities
for things like the previously discussed "Groupware bridge or API Layer":
http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-team-extension-coordination/2006-February/000285.html
... or any external software for that matter. IMHO almost any push
towards wheel reuse can't be a bad thing.

Surely this would push the TYPO3 limits even further! (That's just my
lame attempt to keep in context of the original post.) But seriously I'd
be very interested in peoples opinions on this approach.

Cheers,
David

[1] http://phpgacl.sf.net