[TYPO3] Typo3 limits ?

Sun Mar 19 14:24:13 CET 2006

David Toshack schrieb:

> Stig Nørgaard Færch implemented a terrific extension called "roles",
> which allows you a dropdown list from the top frame to select from a
> list of groups[1] that you are in. Selecting from that dropdown will
> give you _only_ access to that group's settings. Its a great feature and
> I'd love to see it in the core one day soon.

The problem with roles faked by groups is allways the same IMHO:

If you have a faked role, you have it in all groups. So if you got the
role moderator for group A you are automatically moderator of group B
and C. But you should only be moderator of group A. Having it in all
groups is rather a rank than a role. (There may be different
definitions of a role.)

The role is not related directly to your person like a group. It needs
to be related to YOU IN A GROUP. So it is related to the M:M table
between persons and groups.

I think to implement a workaround extension like "roles" into the core
wouldn't be a good solution. I would prefer to have a real solution to
have a workaround in the core.

I am surprised that the feature "a special role in a group" is
requested so seldom. I ran very early into this. I am also surprised
that there also seems nobody in the whole active community, who is
interested in a cleaner solution.

I addressed the problem several times, but nobody seemed to be
interested yet to really go deeper into it.

Regards

Elmar