[TYPO3] Need help moving a site from 3.8.1 to 4.0 RC1

Damien Bezborodow damo at palominoweb.com
Mon Mar 20 08:55:11 CET 2006

Gregory Remington wrote:
> Damien Bezborodow wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've developed a site on 3.8.1 and time has come to deploy. I've
>> decided to deploy with 4.0 RC1. What is the best way to move a site
>> from one installation to another? I've tried using export to t3d, but
>> all I get is a blank page when viewing the site.
>>
>> Can anybody recommend a tutorial or something for using t3d (or
>> whatever else I should be using) across different versions?
>
> I found the easiest way is to do a fresh install (RC1) then dump the RC1
> DB replace it with the the old 3.8.1 DB. After that run Tools > Install
>  > Update Wizard and Database Analyser. Now run Tools > DB check.
>
> The last thing is to delete the following folders using shell in your
> new install and replace them with the ones from your old install using
> cp -r for filesadmin, typo3temp, typo3conf/ext and uploads.
>
> Greg

Thanks for your help! After this, I also had to reinstall extensions
from typo3conf/ext to get things working. I ignored warnings from
tt_news about my PHP version (too high - I'm using the latest PHP5 when
it wants 5.0.4 or something) and Typo3 version (should be 3.8.1).

When doing the update wizard, I was forced to run it twice, so I'm not
running in 3.8.1 compat mode as far as I can tell. Would there be
anything to look out for such as problems with using 4.0 and extensions
made for 3.8.1 or should it be smooth sailing from here?

Cheers!

Damien