[TYPO3] UTF8 and mails

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Jul 26 08:07:25 CEST 2006

Hi Andre,

> I'd already searched the web and asked the german mailinglist for support
> but I still have a problem with the UTF-8 encoding in generated mails.
>
> System:
> =======
> -> PHP Version 4.3.10
>    Settings:
>    - PHP Core -> default_charset = no value
>    - Apache Environment -> HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET =
>    ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7 - HTTP Headers Information ->
>    Accept-Charset = ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7

This should not have any effect on TYPO3 because it provides all charsets on
its own.

> -> MySQL 4.1.10a
>    Settings:
>    - utf8 charset
>    - collation in database: latin1_swedish_ci (which was default per
>    Typo3-Install, so I leave this)
>
> -> Typo3 Version 4.0
>    Settings:
>    - [BE][forceCharset] = utf-8
>    Typoscript:
>    config.notification_email_urlmode = all
>    config.notification_email_encoding = quoted-printable
>    config.notification_email_charset = utf-8
>    config.formMailCharset = utf-8
>    config.tx_kbmailcs_formMailCharset = utf-8

All looks fine. Yesterday I discovered a bug in the bugtracker that reports
that config.notification_email_charset is not treated correctly. It just
causes the header to be changed, but it doesn't convert the content. A
patch for this is ready and waiting for feedback:

http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=1268

> Problem:
> ========
> I use the direct mail subscription extension.

Direct mail subscription doesn't send out any mail. Which direct_mail
edition are you using? Which version?

> After submitting, the mail lack of special characters. It's interesting
> that it seems to depend on the used mailclient, too (See list below)?

Then it must be a wrong implementation of the mail client. Where does it
work, where not?

(http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-team-core/2006-June/004907.html)
> as described but it doesn't helped. I have to note that the patch-function
> wasn't available on my webserver (SUSE 9.3), so I'd to patch the file
> manually.

Ouch! :-)

> So I don't want preclude that I forgot anything within this
> manual patch. So it would be great if anybody has already a patched
> version of the class.t3lib_formmail.php and send me the file for another
> attempt...

Depending on what you need to do, class.t3lib_formmail.php might be the
wrong file for this. Where is your mail sent?

> Test with direct mail subscription and different mail clients
>
> Outlook
> -------
> -> No correct output in the subject (located in the templatefile)
> -> No correct output in the default text (located in the templatefile)
> -> No correct output in the first- and lastname of the personal salutation
> (I guess the script take these values directly from the posted values?)

Can you forward the headers of this email? Should look like something like
this:

(I recently used such mails to test the functionality of the above mentioned
patch)

> Onlineclient eg. gmx.de
> -----------------------
> -> No correct output in the subject (located in the templatefile)
> -> CORRECT in the default text (located in the templatefile)
> -> No correct output in the first- and lastname of the personal salutation
>
> Safari Client on Mac
> -> No correct output in the subject (located in the templatefile)
> -> CORRECT in the default text (located in the templatefile)
> -> No correct output in the first- and lastname of the personal salutation

All depends on the mail headers. I'm pretty sure these clients are able to
display correct mail headers right...

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out