[TYPO3] 3.8.1

Martin Kindler kindlerm at arcor.de
Tue Jul 18 11:41:41 CEST 2006

> Why? Do you see much support for 3.8.1? Support mostly focused on 4.0.
> It is possible to receive answers for 3.8.x (and even 3.7.x) but much
> easier to get answers about 4.0.
It is obvious that there are more questions about a new version than a
better known one. Probably there is also more interest in discussions about
the new product than an older and more willingness of knowledgeable people
in participating.

> No. They perfectly can use 3.8.1 but newcomers should use 4.0
> because it is much easier to get answers about this version.
There are still many questions concerning 3.x and I kindly ask the community
to answer these also.
Whether a new project should be started with the newest version is up to
each responsible. Some might say yes, during the months we need to complete
the project, the new version will ripen and we will learn it. Others might
say: no docs, probably bugs, only few experienced people, so it is is too
dangerous to go that way.

> Please, point where exactly I said that "there will be no support". I
> left quote from my own message above.
Your argument, if I interpret you correctly, is that there is a (much)
bigger chance to get support for the newer versions. This might be the case.
But, if Typo3 wants to be a real player in the market, its community (me and
you included) have some responsibility to support also those willing to
adopt T3 but be for serious reasons a bit more careful in adopting new
stuff.
Other OSS projects, e. g. the Apache projects do this and it is the right
decision. OSS is no playing ground for nerds playing with their newest
gadget but has to be up to the highest professional standards. As there is
no big boss demanding this, we as a community must ensure it. Otherwise we
will fail (but have had a good time).

Martin