[TYPO3] 3.8.1

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Tue Jul 18 13:32:18 CEST 2006

Hi!

Martin Kindler wrote:
> It is obvious that there are more questions about a new version than a
> better known one. Probably there is also more interest in discussions about
> the new product than an older and more willingness of knowledgeable people
> in participating.

You may use 4.0 the same way as you did with 3.7.x and 3.8.x. Just do
not use new functionality, that's all. All old functionality is there
and does not need any new knowledge.

> Whether a new project should be started with the newest version is up to
> each responsible. Some might say yes, during the months we need to complete
> the project, the new version will ripen and we will learn it. Others might
> say: no docs, probably bugs, only few experienced people, so it is is too
> dangerous to go that way.

Typo3 4.0 was released with all docs. What is missing? It is always a
part of the development process, so I doubt "no docs" is true.

Bugs are always there, 4.0 has much less bugs than 3.x.

There is no need for new experience if you want to use old functionality.

> Your argument, if I interpret you correctly, is that there is a (much)
> bigger chance to get support for the newer versions. This might be the case.

Do not forget - support from the community is fully voluntary. People do
not get money for it. Many use their free time to answer questions. They
could spend this time with family instead. But they come here and try to
help others  just because they can help. They give one of the most
valuable things in the world - knowledge - for free. So, do not ask too
much.

Another case is if you develop typo3 sites for customers. Than support
is completely your responsibility. I do such support for my customers,
they are always sure that I will find and fix the problem in any version
that they use. However I am not willing to dig into 3.7.x if it is not
my customer's request. It takes too much resources.

Btw, I try to upgrade all sites that I made to the latest version. It
usually makes life easier for me and customer.

If you personally want to provide support for ealier versions here -
nothing stops you, go on :) But when newcomer asks about 3.8.x, I feel I
must warn him that he should better use latest version - it is much
easier to get help with it. Newcomers are special case - they are
potential members of the community, so I try to make life easier for
them from the beginning.

> Other OSS projects, e. g. the Apache projects do this and it is the right
> decision.

I do not know how Apache works, so cannot comment.

Non-OSS projects support only limited number of versions. For example,
M$ supports only two previous versions of Windows. They are absolutely
right in my opinion.

Dmitry.