[TYPO3] Few Questions about Typo3

Cate & Peter catepeter at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jul 15 02:17:59 CEST 2006

Hi Prashant

>I am evaluating the best possible Enterprise Content Management System -
ECMS >for my organzation and zeroed in on typo3 which has fantastic
features.

Yes it does.

>Before i start the enterprise-wide implmentation of typo3 i have few
questions. They >are :

For the answers to a few of these, I will quote from another current thready
(Typo3 vs other CMSs - Rob and Erik, 13/7/06)

> > This discussion makes me thing of a conversation with a client today:
> >
> > client: "Is this possible with TYPO3 ?"
> > me: "euh, good question. I never ask IF something is possible with
> > TYPO3, but HOW am I going to do this in TYPO3"
> > grtz
> > Rob
>
> Correct answer.
>
> I sometimes answer: "The only thing I know TYPO3 can't do is making you a
> cup of coffee, everything else is a matter of time and cost."

There are a few specific questions you ask that maybe some others can
answer, but perhaps you might like to read the discussion in that thread,
and search the list generally for other threads ... it is a very common
question.

Regarding this question (also exceedingly common)..

>7) what is the learning curve involved for a typo3 ECMS user ?

Very, very, very high. :) doable - but HIGH (can I say that again?? *very,
very, very high*)

Basically, you will have to do most of the work yourself, and while you are
working out what is what, it can be difficult to know what question to ask.

The mailing lists are good, but if you ask something that others consider
obvious, you may not get an answer.

Unless you have many months to get your site done (sounds like a big one to
me), I wouldn't advise that you learn Typo3 at the same time as production
is supposed to be happening.

The CMS is exceedingly customisable, but you may have to do a lot of the
customising yourself, which will involve learning TypoScript (neither a
programming language nor a scripting language, but rather a configuration
script that communicates with PHP).

HTH
Cate