[TYPO3] SPAM-LOW: Re: Typo3 vs other CMSs

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at dnainternet.net
Wed Jul 12 12:30:12 CEST 2006

Krystian Szymukowicz wrote:

> Christoph Herrmann wrote:
>  I don't think any of my
>
>> clients would ever manage to learn Typo3. One example:
>>
>> One client of mine wants different templates for different pages. In
>> Joomla he just clicks and assigns a template to a page

> 1) Page Template Selector  by Robert Lemke (rlmp_tmplselector)

that makes selecting template easy - endeed If you edit the content of
page, you must change from content editing view to 'Page properties',
where you define for example keywords.

Typo3 has so much page properties and it supports many content areas and
unlimited quantity of individual content elements, when it is not
possible to put page and content editing into the same view.

The problem of Mambo is that is has *limited* set of page-related
properties in tabs. For typo3 is possible to add new fields - and also
hide unwanted fields. You have freedoms, which you can't get in Mambo.
Almost every aspect in page and content element is configurable
(and which lacked for page-related default fields I added in
tm_contentaccess).

Endeed it's pity that Typo3 doesn't have system to switch easily from
editing a single content element to page properties ('Quick Edit' from
content to page properties work but not reverse direction). I tried to
fix this missing feature but failed.

> Look at this screen to see how simple BE could be
> http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/extension-manuals/tm_contentaccess/0.19.5/view/1/2/

> You can make BE very simple but still you need to learn how to do it.

I made some options, which can set by every user easily by User > Setup.
For example if the defaut setting in 'Columns' view is to show both
text and icon for each action, it is possible change to show only icon.

Changes, which can be set User > Setup don't need any deep knowledge.

BTW. I have *newer* understood Mambo users. For seeing pages in the
background there is very unintuive list, which is difficult - in
practise impossible - to see the entire structure of the site. Typo3 has
page tree with drag'ndrop - very fast and easy to use. Because I never
figured the page structure from Mambo, I just hate those kinds of apps,
which don't tell properly page structure.

Tapio