[TYPO3] OT: client wants to drop typo. What should I do?

george georgedamonkey at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 19:37:38 CET 2006

I work for a library consortium for 30 public libraries. I've been slowly
moving their websites to typo over the past two years.

I just got an email from one of the earliest adopters, and I frankly don't
know the best way to approach this. I know this is extremely off-topic, and
for that I apologize. I'm just hoping some of you may have some insight on
how I should respond to this. I love typo, and have been fighting for it's
adoption since I first began using it. For an end user, it's so incredibly
easy to use. I can't imagine why anyone would not want to use it.

"I want my library's website to be removed from Typo.  I have been using and
fighting with Typo for years now, and I find it harder to use than
FrontPage.  I run my other site with FrontPage and want to use it for my
library's site.  (I know that Dreamweaver is what you guys recommend we use,
but I can't see spending more money on an editor when I have one that comes
with my Office Suite.)

Jody, I adore the page you designed for me, and I don't want the design to
change at all.  This is much more about me being able to edit things myself
and not have to fight that editor in Typo anymore.  It sometimes takes me
3-4 times to finally get the font to be what I want it to be.  And I can
never get the darn thing to space the text the way I want it!  I am hoping
that even though I don't use Typo, that you will continue to help with the
overall design and adding menu items and such.

Because of the issues with editing that I have had, I continue to wonder if
Typo is the right choice to be moving libraries to.  I find it confusing,
frustrating and cumbersome, though I admit that it may be easier for people
not used to using other editors.  Perhaps it would be easier to have them
learn how to edit in the WYSIWYG section of Dreamweaver or FrontPage?  Are
others using Typo seeing issues at all?

My dream webpage would be an integrated blog page, where all of the pages
are blog-like and blog-edited.  I know that some sites are going to this,
but don't know enough about it to even know how to begin to approach it.  If
this was something that WALS was looking at, that would be much easier for
small libraries or even large libraries to manage."

Again, I apologize for the off-topic nature of this email. And, I thank you
all in advance for your time and patience.

- Jody Cleveland