[TYPO3] [Typo3] How large of website can typo3 handle?

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Wed Jan 4 23:44:01 CET 2006

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:

>Dennis Cheung schrieb am 04.01.2006 17:41:
>

>>I wonder how large, how many pages, langauge it can handle?
>>
>>I see it do a recursive SQL read for page rootline and template.
>>Will it has any problem when many pages and a lot of ext template?
>>
>>May be I ask in another way.
>>
>>If I did all performance and tweaking,
>>  what else I can do / patch to get faster?
>>  what should I don't may let it slower?
>>

>Make sure all your pages are being cached by TYPO3, by not using any
>USER_INT or extentions that set no_cache. TypoScript will be cached, the
>output will be cached. The rootline can be build pretty fast, even if
>its 10 levels deep (which isn't very useful on a website anyway). And
>the output will be cached, so any subsequent request will get the output
>in as much as one DB-request (ok, there might be more, but its O(1),
>doesn't depend on the amount of pages you have). If the pages are not
>cached, it just depends on how deep your tree is, as far as I know.
>
>Cheers,
>Ernesto

My best guess is on a single server, like 1 2.4Ghz/1GB ram SCSI disks
you will hit the limit at 20.000 pages.
After that I am not sure. We have about 1500 pages online, not that much
I know.
As long as you stick to the above you are indeed fine. Means you have a
static website, nothing dynamic to it...

Also at some point page generation is going to be come a problem.
- When you have 20.000 pages and page generation time is long (at my
site +5 seconds) then indexing
such a thing is a problem, for example by google etc... Means like that
indixing this takes up a complete day to complete. (27 hours) saturating
your server (I know google is smart and spread the load... but there is
more then just google).
- collapsing en uncollpasing page trees is going to be  prob at some
point, loading a complete big tree...and rendering the icons in your
browser when page tree is big.

I know about the cache... but we frequently need to delete the cache due
to the fact that we update our rotating banner
and change items throughout the whole site at once, not just a single page.

So for my right now 20.000 is maximum for a single server.....

Plently enough for most people actually :)

cheers,
Ries

Ries