[TYPO3] New community extension

Kevin Renskers info at dualdot.nl
Sun Apr 30 22:30:24 CEST 2006

Hi list,

For the last two weeks I have been working on a new Community extension
(hoicommunity). It's kinda like loginbox_macmade, sr_feuser_register and
cwt_community (and its dependencies) all in one, but now you only need
one extension to offer a complete community solution.

Features/pros:

-One extension for loggin in, creating accounts, editing profiles,
sending each other messages, a buddylist and so on. And all these
features are better integrated with each other because now it is just
one extension!
-A password-strength checker when creating account and changing
passwords, Hotmail style.
-A list of all and all online users.
-Uses a nice Javascript calendar to enter birthdates. No more yyy-mm-dd
input fields!
-It uses templates, css and locallang.xml for complete control.
-Valid XHTML, unlike the other extensions mentioned.
-Community administration in the fontend: assign a usergroup that has
'admin' rights and they can edit all profiles.
-It uses the prototype.js AJAX library for some features and nice effects.
-There were a lot of bugs in cwt_community concerning escaping quotes,
this extension won't have problems like that (at least I hope so haha).
-Emoticons: strings in messages and profiles will be replaced with images.

The first public version is added to the TER just now. Key:
hoicommunity. It's not 100% finished now. Planned for next version /
what is missing now:

-You can assign a special 'vip'-like group that has extra features. This
is already finished, but there extra features still have to be made. I
am thinking about a photoalbum and BB code to beautify your profile.
-Search users
-Birthday reminders of your buddies
-The ability to upload pictures and change your username
-Admin should be able to change someone's usergroup in the frontend
-A bar that shows all emoticons, click on them to insert them into a
message or your profile

...and probably more :)

It's pretty usable now, and as said, there is more to come soon (within
a couple of days). If you have requests, comments or suggestions, let me
know! There is no documentation right now, but if you know cwt_community
it should be pretty clear. Also the constant editor is a big help!

It has no support for hooks and stuff like that, so if you need that
just talk to me.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Kevin Renskers