[Typo3] Zap the Gremlins - report them!!!!

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Fri Oct 21 22:26:33 CEST 2005

Dmitrii Dimandt wrote:

>On 10/20/05, Ries van Twisk <typo3 at rvt.dds.nl> wrote:
>

>>Dmitrii Dimandt wrote:
>>

>>>Staffan, exactly.
>>>Many gremlins are exactly that - usability issues for the most part.
>>>Should they be bugs? I doubt it.
>>>
>>>And coming to TER... Well, honestly, it's horrible. Actually, just a
>>>couple of days ago I decided to reinstall indexed_search from TER. And
>>>it wasn't there! There was no way to get hold of an earlier version of
>>>it as well. When a version of an extension breaks something, there is
>>>simply no way to revert to an earlier version - it disappears! So,
>>>consider that a gremlin. And a huge one as well.
>>>

>>There was a discussion about system extentions (like indexed search),
>>you may have missed it they are removed from
>>TER, they had good reasons for it..trust me. System extention are part
>>of a specific typo3 version, so you can
>>only use index_search that comes with you typo3 version and that one
>>should be stable.
>>
>>Ries
>>

>I did miss it.
>
>Anyway, suppose, I removed indexed_search or altered it beyond repair.
>How can I get it back? Downloading a whole new Typo3 installation is
>not an option.

make a backup of things you want to change before you change it is a
good option.
Also, personally I have a tarbal of dummy package and typo3 source at
hand...

>Besides, imagine someone uploads a new version of a non-system
>extension (say, macina_banners) that is incompatible with a previous
>version. Or is otherwise unstable. We are left at the mercy of the
>developer to provide a stable version since there is no way to access
>previous versions of the extension.

It's about system_extentions, these are removed.

macina_banners for example as a system created by one of our extention contributors.
it's actually his responsibly to keeps his extention compatible...to some extend ofcourse.
So this extention will always be found in TER, and the developers can keep older
versions in there aswell which you can download.
So there is no real problem there...

Ries