[Typo3] site dimensions - best resolution

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Fri Oct 21 07:13:38 CEST 2005

Christopher wrote:

> I would quarrel with this as a blanket statement since it depends
> largely on the market served by the site. Have a look at w3schools'
> browser resolution stats [1] -- it's a tech-themed site, so you might
> expect that a larger than average number of visitors are using larger
> monitors. But even so, they still report 25-30% of users browsing at
> 800 x 600 this year. This is a minority to be sure, but too big a
> minority to just ignore as far as I'm concerned.

I think w3schools statistics are not directly related to the people who
view your pages. You should try to install an application like webalizer
or awstats which shows what resolution YOUR visitors have.

w3school counts also 3rd world people accessing the internet who have cheaper
hardware ... if your main customers are from europe or us you should consider
a more specific statistic ....

We for example noticed that only about 5-7 % of the visitors have 800x600 and
that was a reason for us to switch to 1024x768 designs.

And yes: em styled sites view nice on every size ... if the main ares aren't combined
with images somehow (non-repeating backgrounds) you should go this direction.

greets,
Bernhard