[Typo3] site dimensions - best resolution

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 18:06:28 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 20/10/05, Gerald Fränkl | atic <typo3 at atic.de> wrote:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> Christoph Koehler schrieb:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I just wanted to see what the community thinks is the best resolution
> > to  develop a website for. I would like to keep everyone happy, but one
> > of my  current sites is made for 800x600, but it's so small!! I would
> > love to go  at least 1024x768 to fit more stuff on it.
>
> For business sites 1024x is fine, most of the users use 1024 oder even
> much more.

I would quarrel with this as a blanket statement since it depends
largely on the market served by the site. Have a look at w3schools'
browser resolution stats [1] -- it's a tech-themed site, so you might
expect that a larger than average number of visitors are using larger
monitors. But even so, they still report 25-30% of users browsing at
800 x 600 this year. This is a minority to be sure, but too big a
minority to just ignore as far as I'm concerned.

> Have a look into your logfiles, maybe the monitor resolution is logged.

This is a good point; stats like those I quoted above should be used
only as guidelines -- as mentioned, your visitors may represent an
entirely different segment of the total mass of websurfers.

> Another point: why don't you use em instead of px?

This is _very_ good advice; it does take a little more planning to
achieve good results, but it's well worth the trouble (since it can
effectively free you from worries about screen resolution...)

-Christopher

[1] http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp