[Typo3] Is ImageMagick necessary for Typo3?

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Tue Oct 18 06:51:41 CEST 2005

Sandip,

On 10/17/05, Sandip Bhattacharya <sandip at lug-delhi.org> wrote:

> Why does it seem from the docs that Imagemagick is essential for a Typo3
> installation? Why does a CMS need to use a image manipulation software for
> anything other than eye candy?

Valid question. However, an image manipulation software is needed for
example for image scaling - I am not talking of the thumbnails, but
rather of the cases when a user uploads a 1800x1200 picture taken by a
digital camera to be placed on a page in size that is 180x120.

The rest is indeed eye candy.

> Unless I specifically need image manipulation for say Gallery, how do I turn
> off typo3's image manipulation by default for each new installation that my
> clients make?

I would suggest getting one of the following:

1. Get a statically built GM or IM from typo3.sunsite.dk, upload it
somewhere and use it for all installations.

2. Unpack dummy package, tune the configuration of graphic options,
then comment out the lines in localconf.php that deal with connection
to db, delete temporary files and pack the dummy back with your new
localconf.php. Use your "customized" dummy package in the future
instead of the official one.

The way you would use that new default localconf.php really depends on
what do your customers use to create new installations - if it's
cPanel/Fantastico, for example, you would need to make changes to
Fantastico's image of Typo3.

At any rate, you will probably get better help on this subject in any
of the typo3-install lists than here.

--
Dimitri Tarassenko