[Typo3] Is ImageMagick necessary for Typo3?

Michiel Roos typo3 at monosock.org
Tue Oct 18 08:52:13 CEST 2005

Sandip,

Typo3 runs just fine without IM.

I have an install running without it because that particular host does not
have IM installed. Even if it did have it installed it would be of no use
because the 'exec' functions are disabled on this server for security
reasons.

I don't really mind though. The only thing is (as Dimitri noted) that you
have to upload already scaled images to the server. And that you are
unable to use any extension that uses image scaling (photoblog, galleries
etc.).

If you do have IM installed, you can disable the thumbnail generation in
the filelist, but your users might turn it on again. You could of course
create an extension that strips that checkbox out of the backend forms so
it cannot be tampered with.

And get a better server ;-), I don't know how large the 100 images were,
but this should be no problem, unless your server is already under
considerable load, or shares its resources with a lot of other clients.

In your case, I would write the extension. That way, you can use galleries
etc., but still get rid of your 100 img problem.

I would like to see TYPO3 lose its dependancy on ImageMagick though. Since
some providers just don't allow it. In that case TYPO3 should just
gracefully fallback to GM, or else to GD or nothing.

Cheers,

Michiel