[Typo3] Is ImageMagick necessary for Typo3?

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip at lug-delhi.org
Tue Oct 18 05:18:09 CEST 2005

Why does it seem from the docs that Imagemagick is essential for a Typo3
installation? Why does a CMS need to use a image manipulation software for
anything other than eye candy?

I am talking about the core, and not about extensions like Gallery.

I do not want to be shown thumbnails when browsing through a fileadmin
folder with images. The last time one of my clients tried to browse such a
folder with 100 images, using the admin panel, each of the thumbnails
caused a convert process to run, almost bringing the server down.

Is there any specific essential reason why ImageMagick might be used by the
core?

Unless I specifically need image manipulation for say Gallery, how do I turn
off typo3's image manipulation by default for each new installation that my
clients make?

- Sandip

Sandip Bhattacharya  *    Puroga Technologies   *     sandip at puroga.com
Work: http://www.puroga.com  *   Home/Blog: http://www.sandipb.net/blog

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3