[Typo3] Typo3-english Digest, Vol 25, Issue 81

Krystian Szymukowicz t33k.RE.MO.VE at RE.MO.VE.prolabium.com
Sun Oct 16 15:47:18 CEST 2005

Nikos Kottaropoulos wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have the following problem.
>
> I want to put some content in my multi language site, in Greek. I've turned
> the language in the user setup in Greek (in an older installation I had done
> s.th. else in order to achive greek to appear in the RTE, but I can't
> remember. can a.o. help with this?), and now when I write greek in the RTE i
> get greek after the save button (and not special characters). BUT, I don't
> get greek on my web page. More exact I input this: ξκξκξ and I get this:
> îêîêî -  (îêîêî).
> I checked the databases and my text has been saved there properly in greek
> characters. What is going wrong? config.metaCharser = iso-8859-7 is also in
> my setup field of the template and it appears in the source of the webpage
> as well. the content is not sent right from the server to the browser.

hi Nickos

If you have multilingual site I suggest you to change the backend and
frontent to utf-8.

1. set utf-8 in your backend
  (go to "install" => "configure all" => find "[forceCharset]" and set
it   to 'utf-8"

OR you can add following line to your localconf.php
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS["BE"]["forceCharset"] = 'utf-8';

 From the documentation:
"
If you set TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['forceCharset'] that value is used by
default for "renderCharset". It is highly recommended to use
TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['forceCharset'] for multilingual websites in
TYPO3. If you set that you don't have to worry about renderCharset and
metaCharset - the same charset is used in the whole system.
"

So you do not need to set anything in template TS (no
config.metaCharset, no config.renderCharset)

BTW: you wrote "config.metaCharser = iso-8859-7"
and it should be "config.metaCharset = iso-8859-7"
some misspeling - maybe only in this email, but check it in TS config

good luck

--
grtz
Krystian